Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Trip stuff



So I am back from my trip to Atlanta, Savannah, and Tybee Island. The trip was amazing. There is so much to tell and so many photographs to share that I don't even know where to start. So bare with me if this is all haphazard.


My trip started with some adventures. We had an early morning flight out of Austin and had to rush to the airport. When we arrived there, the flight was delayed. So we waited. And waited. My hubby and son1 took turns standing in a line to get info about the flight. They were in the line for 3 hours.

Anyways. The plane finally took off at about 1:00 pm in the afternoon. We reached Atlanta at about 4:30. In Atlanta we did not get our bags. We had to stand in some more lines and were told that our bags were going to arrive at 7:00 pm. So we waited some more. It wasn't a good start to the vacation.

Once we got our bags, we went to the car rental place, rented a car and drove down to Tybee Island where we had our hotel reservations. By the time we reached Tybee Island, it was 1:00 AM and we were all exhausted. But we had rented a condo/flat. So there was no room service, no decent drinking water, no food. So we freshened up a bit and got back in the car. And went to one of the few places that was open. A bar.

My boys ate and I told the waitress that I was on a "de-stress/liquid" diet. So I chugged down a couple of martinis. There may have been more but I wasn't driving and who the heck was counting? We ate/drank and went back to the condo and all of us just crashed.

We left our home in Austin at about 5:00 AM and by the time we slept, it was about 3:00 AM. Which means that we were up for almost 24 hours.

That was our day 1 of the trip. And it got all better after that.

So have you had any interesting adventures while travelling? I am all ears!

7 comments:

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I love that you 'chugged down a couple of martinis' or 'maybe more'! Good thing you had your sensible boys there to keep an eye on you. This certainly was not a good start to your holiday. It's possible to fly from Australia to the UK in just a little more than the time it took you to get to Atlanta. Maybe it would have been easier if you had gone to Atlantis as originally planned. As for travel adventures, I've given a little snippet of one in today's blog post. Doesn't involve martinis but I do recall rather a lot of swearing when I had to drive / navigate single-handedly (on account of Mr L-S not being fully from the stomach bug) from SW to SE France...

Unknown said...

Oh,I would have joined the Martini Party,I bet.
What a nightmare.

Looking forward to the Rest, I'm sure it was an adventure :)
Very artsy pic too :)

mythopolis said...

Definitely a rough way to begin a 'vacation'! The lighthouse photo is really interesting to me. Something about it seems ominous. The darkness..the 'shakiness' of things make it look dangerous, as though, if there were accompanying sound , it would have alarm bells or sirens.

BLOGitse said...

flying is so tiring...waiting and sitting doing nothing...
but you got to your destination, you got the Martinis - why you didn't call me? I could've drink with you! :)

Scriber's Web said...

Janice: Let's plan a martini chugging session next summer in Europe. Ha ha... Atlantis would have been fun too! Do they have good martinis there?

Nicole: I am so coming to Europe next summer!

Mythos: It was bumpy but everything went up the hill from there. 1 day was wasted but eeh.. the rest of it was fabulous! The next time I go on a trip, I am taking my tripod!

Blogitse: Let's have a martini party in Europe next summer. The drinks are on me! Everyone is invited!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I'm afraid I'm unable to participate in a martini chugging session. This has just a little to do with a rather spectacular martini chugging session that took place some 25 years ago... Today I am older and wiser ... and the hangovers are too bad to contemplate so I have the odd wine, beer, lager or preferably champagne, in which case, ignore all of the above.
Champagne at mine?

BLOGitse said...

Good idea!
We can meet at Nicole's place! She's almost in the center of Europe. Nicole - what do you say? :)
and Janice, you may drink champagne, we don't mind! :)