Monday, November 16, 2009

Call Mom Salsa




This year for Thanksgiving, my hubby and I are going to Chicago. The boys will meet us there. Typically for Thanksgiving, they fly down to Austin. But this year, they only had a couple of days. So I suggested instead of the two of them flying down to Austin, why not we meet in Chicago? They can drive to Chicago. And I can hang out with my new born nephew. Good times for all! Pizza galore!

So since my boys live in an apartment by themselves, I often cook food, freeze it, and send it to them.

One of their favorite thing is my home made salsa. I would post the recipe but...

1) My lawyer son has claimed his rights on the salsa recipe and bought it for a dollar. He forbids me from revealing it to anyone. He wants to market it down the road.

2) There is no real recipe. I just gather a bunch of stuff and blend it all. I don't measure anything. I smell the jalapenos and decide whether I should put 4 or 8. None of this is helpful to anyone who wants to make my salsa. And I've had some serious commercial offers for my recipe. But it won't do them any good.

Anyways. My boys always want me to send them and bring for them a gallon of my salsa. I make it, freeze it and send it. And I label the containers, CALL MOM SALSA. XOXO.

Yes they are supposed to call me every time they eat it. Which they say is technically not possible since they eat it with every meal.

Sigh.

Tonight, I am going to make some to take with me to Chicago.

Anyone have any recommendations about Chicago? I am planning on going to the aquarium and the museum. And eating lots of pizza. What else?

10 comments:

mythopolis said...

Could you send me some salsa too? Please? I love the Museum of Natural History and The Art Institute! It's fun just to hang out on Michigan Ave, the steps at the Art Institute are perfect for that, and just watch all the business of the city!

BLOGitse said...

I call Scriber!
I want your salsa too! :)
Chicago - never been, can't help, sorry!

Robin said...

Visit Millennium Park and see The Bean (and other sculptures). Navy Pier is fun, just for the walk out to the end (and the Stained Glass Museum).

As for pizza, Giordano's is a must. :)

I make salsa that way, too. No real recipe, just what looks and smells good.

Santiago Guttierez said...

i love this picture. for me it represents an abstracted smiley face with giant jalapeƱo lips indicative of the warmer times shared and to be shared with family.

i cant wait for chicago. and the ability to eat as much of this salsa as i want. even though i 'know' the recipe i still can't reproduce it with the same mastery and love.

see you in 6 days mom.

Elizabeth said...

I never even knew you could freeze salsa! I mean, it makes sense, but I know nothing about the kitchen. I still have to call my mom to ask the stupidest questions!

Enjoy Chicago--we went there for a few days earlier this year, but stayed in the suburbs. There is so much to do!

KalaMarie said...

I have lived outside of Chicago almost all my life, but rarely go into the city.

Here's a good link: http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en.html

You'll have a great time - people love to visit!

Nicole said...

You send it by mail?
The US amazes me :D

Your biys have a great Mom :)

Mrsupole said...

My hubby is on this kick of eating salsa when he comes home from work. I am not sure how long this will last, but I like it. I am sure if he tried yours he would probably keep it up for a long time.

My mom comes from Chicago and we used to go there 3 or 4 times a year. We just visited family and once when I was older I got to go to the top floor of the John Hancock building (not sure if it is still called that), but anyway that was very scary for someone who is afraid of heights. That is the only thing I can think of for you to do. I hope you have lots of fun.

God bless.

Scriber's Web said...

Mythos: I'll send some salsa but don't blame me if it is too hot to handle!

Blogitse: How about I come over there and make salsa for you? Sounds good?

Robin: Thanks for commenting.I hope it is not too cold there though. I'd hate to be outdoors in cold weather. Pizza is definitely in my horizon. Love Giordano's! Yummy!

Santiago: You outed yourself! LOL. Can't wait to see you sweetie!

Elizabeth: I don't typically freeze salsa. But my boys are in college and they don't mind eating my frozen salsa:)

KalaMarie: How lucky that you live close to Chicago!Thank you for the link! I have to check it out!

Nicole: I can ship it overnight but typically send it with someone when they fly or drive down to Lexington. I do tell remind them everyday how lucky they are to have me as a mom:)

Mrsupole: I have been to John Hancock center and it is amazing. I stayed mostly in the center of the building though! And my son was holding my hand. The salsa kick sounds great. My kids pour salsa on everything! Yuck. I am kinda tired of eating my salsa. Peace!

BLOGitse said...

YES, you come here! Great! When? :)