Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Old Stuff




While I have been on a half-hearted mission to declutter my home, I found this. It is safe to say that it is at least a hundred years old. Maybe more.

I wish I remembered who exactly gave it to me. I know it comes from my Dad's side of the family. And I know that it is tiny enough to fit a new born but way too heavy to actually wear it.

I wonder what to do with it.

Who made this? For whom?

It is so lovely and I know that I am never going to part with it. But I wish I remembered the history. Who gave it to me? And who did it originally belong to?

And most importantly, how should I preserve this? I am totally thinking of creating artwork out of it. Encaustics? Frame it with a colorful background?

Not sure. Any ideas?

7 comments:

mythopolis said...

Someone's labor of live. I think mount it behind glass and hang it on the wall!

mythopolis said...

I meant labor of LOVE!

BLOGitse said...

Make a doll for it! :)

Nicole said...

No idea of how to preserve it or where it actually came from.
Maybe it was once used for someones Baptism?
You give Babys a special garment for that day and the family keeps it for ages.

Santiago Guttierez said...

i remember this. i think u should go to Antique's roadshow and see what they value it at..

Scriber's Web said...

Mythos: I think that is a great idea. I'll do something with it.

Blogitse: I would do it but I don't have any girls to play with it. If I play with it, I'll look like Anna Nicole Smith. In case you don't know, she was always heavily medicated and played with dolls sometimes:) Crazy.

Nicole: We don't have baptism or anything like that. I just think it is very intriguing where it came from and who wore it. Sigh. I may never know.

Santiago: Thank you for your comment and visit. It is probably not worth any dollar amount. Maybe 10 bucks. Remember my coin collection? Not worth much. But you are welcome to take it to an antique show as long as I get all the money:) On another note, call your mother!

BLOGitse said...

We all know ANS! :)