Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Divorce Lawyer







One of my husband's old friend is a divorce lawyer. For years, I never met him because he lives in another city. For years, I did not want to because he is a divorce lawyer. I mean what sane wife wants her husband to hang out with a d*i*v*o*r*c*e l*a*w*y*e*r?

I finally met him after years. He came over for dinner when he was in town. He is smooth and charming. And also very funny. I told him that I was skeptical about him being my husband's friend. He told me no problem. All his friend's wives disliked the fact that he is a divorce lawyer.

And then he took my hand, looked me in the eye and said, "Here is the deal. If God forbid something like that ever happens, I'll be on your side. And together, we will beat the pants off your husband."

Did I say that he was charming?

I made him promise that he would be on my side. And told him that we had a verbal agreement. He said absolutely.

Since then, we became friends.

My husband and his friends try to meet once an year in different locations. When my people ask, I always say, "My husband is in Chicago with my divorce lawyer."

That always shocks people.

Ha!

I never miss an opportunity to remind him that he has a verbal agreement with me.

So Mike, if you are reading this, not only do we have a verbal agreement, I hereby declare you as my divorce lawyer in my blogging world.

Just in case I need one.


8 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Oh that's good!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. I hope you never need him, but he sounds too smooth.

Jodi said...

You are SO funny! Well at least you have an answer for someone who asks "know any good divorce lawyers?" LOL!

Ballerina Girl said...

funny!
a bit intimidating I would think...who would want to marry one too??
Well, I guess someone has to do it...
unfortunately!
BG

Scriber's Web said...

I don't think I'll ever need it. At least that is not the part of my plan.

But it is good to know that I have someone on my side. There are days when I think "I am so telling Mike this!"

Thank you so much for visiting and posting comments! It makes my day. And inspires and motivates me to write more. And read more.

You gals rock!

Alida Thorpe said...

Funny!
I wish I had a divorce lawyer on the side!

Alida Thorpe said...

Thanks for the visit to my site!

On my photo like this in flickr, I comment on how difficult it was to photograph money. I thought it would be easier but money is so reflective. I also wanted a wide variety of coins to show so they had to be positioned just right.

There's more to studio photography than you'd think, isn't there?

Guy Chambliss said...

Oh! Nice one! It made me smile.It must be good to have met a divorce lawyer who is brilliant and smart. Lucky you. But I hope you won't be needing his service as a lawyer in the future!