Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How Rude!


So yesterday evening, I was fixing dinner and getting ready to eat when I got a phone call on my land line.

No one ever calls me on my land line. No one interesting that is. I checked the phone number and I could tell that it was an unlisted number.

Typically, I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. But with family and friends scattered all around the world, I decided to answer it.

Me: Hello?
Guy: Hello!!!! Is this the lady of the house?

Me: Staring at the phone. This person obviously does not know me. Or else, he would never call me lady of the house. What an antiquated term! Just like the word house wife. Who marries a house? When I stayed at home and raised my kiddos, I hated it when people called me a house wife. I would always tell them, "I married a man and not a house. I stay at home and raise my kids. If somewhere along the line I take care of the house, good deal. But I am not married to the house!"

Anyways. You can probably sense my mood by now. I was having one of those power surge moments. My family would probably say that I've been having a decade of power surges but let's ignore them. Shall we?

Me: Who is this? Is this a solicitation phone call? I am on the do not call list.
Guy: Well mam I am calling to let you know about the pest control service we are offering in your neighborhood.

Me really wanting to say: And would that entail getting rid of pests like you who call me at inconvenient times? Even though I am on the do not call list?

Me exercising some self control: Thanks so much for the offer but I am not interested and kindly remove my number from your list.

Guy: But wait Mam! You really haven't heard about the wonderful deal I have to offer!!!

Me not too happy: You know what? This is not a good time for me. Why don't you give me your name, your cell phone number, your home address and your email id and I will get back with you as soon as possible.

Guy: Uuuummm... We are not allowed to give you our personal information. But you can contact our office at...

Me: Really? You have all my personal information and can call me anytime but I can't call you? Isn't that a tad ironic?

Guy: Hmmmm...

And. then. he. hung. up. on. me.

How rude! How very rude!

Ok I get it. He is just trying to do a job and make a semi-honest living. I say semi-honest because I am on the do not call list and he should not be calling me. He either hasn't checked the list or doesn't care about it. Not very honest or smart in my opinion.

So there you have it. A phone solicitor hung up on me. Can you top that?

7 comments:

mythopolis said...

Very rude, in deed! But now, about those people with very tiny round heads staring out the window....

BLOGitse said...

oh Scriber, I can imagine you on the phone!
so sorry but I'm like you - why the h... they have the right but I don't? Not fair!
Nowadays I say immediately 'sorry I don't buy or order nothing' - saves time for both of us! :)

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I'm with you all the way on this one! I react pretty similarly, but never so badly as when I had a newborn baby who had just gone to sleep for the first time EVER when someone phoned to try to sell me something....

Unknown said...

He chickened out.
Nice.

:D

I would have gotten in his *youknowwhere* too, trust me.
Moron.

:)

Ballerina Girl said...

Wow, not sure I can top that one...
maybe the time on the other end of the line here in Brasil when someone called my cell and kept asking me who I was? Well shouldn't that person know if they called me??

Anyways, I must use that housewife thing sometime! so very well put!

BG

Crone and Bear It said...

Well...sort of...I angrily told a telemarketer to stop calling me and that I was on the do not call list and he actually yelled obscenities at me and then hung up. That's why I'd like to rip my phone out of the wall. We always check caller ID now and if it says Private, or Unknown Caller we ignore it and let it go to voicemail. And if they start to leave an annoying msg, I pick up the phone and then hang up on them. I know it does no good but it makes me feel better. I'm so with you on this one!

Nan Patience said...

It was good of you to answer the phone and good of you to let him hang up on you.

"Lady of the house," indeed!