Tuesday, October 6, 2009

No Math Please!

Lately I find myself involved in too many mathematical decisions.

What size, what cost, how much tax, blah, blah blah.

I find them so boring. And taxing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate math. I've aced accounting classes and used to do all the accounting stuff for our home life and my hubby's business. In fact, I was responsible for all the finances of his entire business. And I did great.

But now things have changed. I have a full time job and am a faux artist.

I do not want to do any math. I don't enjoy it at all. I'd rather write, or take photos, or do some art work.

Yet my work right now entails not only understanding mathematical stuff but also explaining it. Blah. Good thing is that I set everyone's expectations when it comes to explaining it. And I can quickly point everyone in another direction. Someone who obviously knows what they are talking about.

I don't and don't care.

So what about you? Do you find yourself involved in situations where you are way out of your depth and have to be involved in those discussions?

How do you handle it?

6 comments:

mythopolis said...

Oh me! I am a total direlect with accounting. I don't keep a record of my checks at all. I haven't balanced a check book in 10 years!! I do keep track of spending in my head though, and I am rarely off by more than 20 dollars.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

For some reason I was thinking about the last maths exam I did at school recently. As we were leaving I asked a friend how he had tackled a particular quastion about calculating the area of a circular rug. I realised as soon as he told me how he did it that I had used the wrong formula. But do you know - in the thirty years since then I have NEVER needed to calculate the area (or perimeter!) of a circular rug! Somehow I have managed without knowing how to do that!

mythopolis said...

OK, but tell me this, How much wood could a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck would chuck wood? I would like to be from this problem that invades my dreams.

BLOGitse said...

I'm bad in math but I have good tools! I take care of all our money business and my husband can just relax and trust me...Hey, he trusts me! :)

Unknown said...

I don't like math and I don't like discussions when I don't have a clue about the subject.
I just stay out of it when I can avoid it.
Blaeh!

Anonymous said...

Oh math. My least favorite subject. This was/is not my "strength". The only time I need it is when I am decorating, cooking or knitting.