Thursday, October 22, 2009

Runaway




Yesterday, I wanted to run away from home, go to Mexico and open up a cantina. And live on the beach forever.

I just have too much going on and sometimes I simply don't have the time to do all of it. I feel overwhelmed. Weekdays are consumed with work and commute. What's left of the day, I eat, watch TV and blog surf. And sleep. There is lots and lots of guilt to deal with all day long. Rinse repeate, rinse repeat.

Lots of things brought this on. First, there was this fabulous post that a fellow blogger Nan wrote. It was about the importance of having a job right now. Click here to read it. She is absolutely right about what she says. I couldn't agree more.

But then I got a call from a girl friend who was job hunting. She's been looking for a job for about 8 months. And for a while, there were no leads. But all of a sudden, in September, she started getting leads and interviews. She got numerous offers. One job was high paying and offered all the benefits. She was very torn about it and in the end decided to go for a job that was just 40 hours of contracting. It was a very brave and scary decision to make.

She has a wonderful 18 month old daughter and decided that working 60 hours a week just would not cut it for her. She wanted to spend time with her daughter. 40 hours of work, coming home stress free, not having sleepless nights was a bargain. Sure she would get less money, but in the end it was worth it. I am so proud of her.

To her I say bravo! I was a stay at home mom for years and I can never ever feel any regrets for that.

To all the Moms who chose to stay at home or opted for lesser hours so you could spend time with your family, I say bravo! My hats off to you.

Then I heard from another girl friend. We were planning on going out for dinner with our spouses to celeberate her birthday. She cancelled it. She said she wasn't in the mood. She was tired of work and everything else.

I proposed to her that we run away to Mexico and open up a cantina. Dress code would be bikinis, sarongs and flip flops.

She laughed and said, "I wish."

Le sigh!

So my question to you is, who wants to run away to Mexico with me and open a cantina? Jobs for everyone!

The only decisions we would have to make is, should I serve margerittas or a mexican martini?

Sounds good?

9 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Wow! Thank you very much! I was feeling a little blue, and this just cheered me right up!

I would love to run away to Mexico and open a cantina and serve/drink Mexican cocktails all day and into the night, scantily clad, soaking up the sun and heat, living easy, eating that yummy Mexican food...

Nicole said...

We come along too.
Mexico is just fine and girls in Bikinis will make hubby happy.
He can cook the Mexican food ;)

I can do the bed and breakfast thing - people need to sleep somewhere ;)

Hope you all feel better soon!

Lisa, Mom, Ysa, daughter, said...

Mexico sounds nice...but I think Italy is more my speed. Except, some of those guys in Speedos really shouldn't be.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I don't think I want to run away to Mexico - at least, not most days - but I will certainly come regularly to visit and chill out with one or two of your margaritas-or-martinis!

mythopolis said...

Just name the sleepy little coastal town you want to go to, and give me 48 hours notice! We can all crash at Nicole's bed and breakfast. I am happy to do dishes, if I can get free food.

Laura Marchant said...

Nearly 3 dozen sold? Sounds like they have a hit on their hands or a really smart pr person who is getting people to talk about them, lol

Scriber's Web said...

Nan: Sorry that you were feeling blue! But we are so on for the mexico gig!

Nicole: Thank you! Your hubby can be our chief chef! We'll crash at your bed and b'fast:)

Lisa: We'll have to visit each other. I'd love to go to Italy for a month. Just keep the Speedo guys away from me:)

Janice: Come visit us! Seems like we are going to have a party there:)

Mythos: You can certainly get food for doing the dishes:)

MM: Ha ha. I think they based it off of McDonald's 3 billion sold:)

Nicole said...

@Lisa - nothing against Italy, but they are way too stuck up to chill properly. Plus they are way overpriced!

BLOGitse said...

and Italy has Berlusconi! autch!

I could be a test drinker - or how do you call people how taste a food/drink before others, if it's poisoned or bad?
+ I look after you not drink and swim.
I'm that kind of police. Head of security. :)