Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Some Answers...


I've been getting asked this a lot. So I figured I would answer this here. For those who don't know, I was born and raised in India. But I've lived longer in USA. Almost everyone I know here asks me about the movie Slumdog millionaire and what I think about it. I get calls and emails. So I figured I would write my thoughts about it on my blog.

Did you see the movie? Did you like the movie?

Yes I did see Slumdog Millionaire and I loved it.
There were some scenes where I cringed and was uncomfortable. I even closed my eyes and put my hands over my ears.
But overall I loved the movie. The music and the background music is just fantastic, The story is very very well written. It is directed very very well. I don't know if you heard but they actually used some actors from the slum itself.

Are slums really like that? Do these things really happen?

Yes slums shown in the movie are real. In fact, they are probably worse than what you see in the movie. It is reality and I have seen these things. The movie does not exploit or glamorize anything. It just tells a story. Everything in the movie actually does happen in India. I've actually seen worse things.

Some Indians are against the movie because it depicts the worse scenarios of India. What do you think?

Yes some of the Indian folks are embarrassed because they think that this movie represents India in a bad manner. They are mad because they think that the movie focuses on all the bad things that happen in India and not good things.

To that I say Bologna.
This is simply a story. They have taken some very dramatic and painful realities about India and glued it together to make a very compelling story. And ultimately it is an uplifting story. It is a story about hope, innocence, love and friendship.
As a writer, I take great offense when people question what I write or create.

Look at my wine opera. It is a silly silly story about wines with silly names. Never in a billion years would I have imagined that it would be this popular. But what if the wine industry gets mad at me? I only used silly wine names. I never gave merit to any wines. What if they accuse me of mocking the wine industry? And forbid me from having any wine for the rest of my life?

To them I say buzz of. It is my content and I will write and create what I want to. It is reality that these wines exist. And no one is forcing anyone to read my stuff.

So you recommend the movie?

Absolutely yes. Fantastic story. The slums and the harsh realities are just a background for an inspiring story. Fantastic direction. Fantastic music.

In one word I would say simply fantastic.

And to the wine industry I would say please don't be mad at me. I promise to write some serious stuff about wines. Someday. I just need some more wine.

8 comments:

Sumit said...

Nice post, scriber. :)

Even though I didn't find the movie Oscar material, I do agree with most of what you say.

However, what is disgusting is that everyone from Indian politicians to corporates is trying to get mileage from the success of the movie.

Plus, somehow I'm not very comfortable with the idea of calling someone a 'slumdog' - even if you offer me the explanation that the word is a portmanteau of 'slumdweller' and 'underdog'.

Whatsay?

BLOGitse said...

Well written. Nothing to add. Dot.

mythopolis said...

Kick butt, Scriber! Great commentary on the movie...and as for the wine companies, they should be sending you complimentary cases!! As for the word slumdog, I am sure some might take objection...but slang is slang, "What's up Dawg!" is an affectionate greeting. A Junkyard dog is typically a mean dog trained to guard a junk yard from thieves. And Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs were thieves! Anyway," big shout out to my homies in Austin...how you dawgs hangin'? : )

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the movie!

Laura Marchant said...

I really need to see this movie. My friends have given it great reviews too.

Scriber's Web said...

Sauron: Thanks for visiting and commenting. I really haven't heard that the Indian Politicians are trying to get mileage but then I am not surprised. I'll have to research this but I think the word slumdog is based on an Indian saying "Gali ka kutta" which means the dog of the street. Or something like that. Actually I like your explanation better. I don't have any problems with Slumdog. But that doesn't mean that I would ever use it. It is just a coined word. Here in US being a dog is cool. So maybe it means cool slum dweller?

Blogitse: Thanks! You know what I am talking about:)

Mytho: Yes the wine companies should be sending me wine dawg!

Nicole: It will be well worth it:)

MM: It is a little shocking but love the movie!

HalfCrazy said...

Funny how people bombard you with questions but isn't that interesting? I am very much amazed with Slumdog Millionaire too and everything about it, especially Freida Pinto!

Anyway, I didn't know they actually hired actors from the slums. What I've read is that one of the kids who played Jamal Malik lives in the slums.

It's pretty cool how you are not offended with the film like some Indians. I think I've fallen in love with India after watching Slumdog Millionaire, I actually love to visit the slums someday and see for myself. I think it's beautiful!

Much Love,

Ballerina Girl said...

well written! thanks Scriber!
BG