I consider myself lucky enough to have a great job that I love. And have fun with. I know numerous people who hate their jobs with a vengeance. They hate going to work every day. Why they don’t consider other alternatives I do not know.
But the other day, I made a list of some fun jobs. Jobs I think are ideal jobs. If I change my career, here is my list of dream jobs:
- Travel Photographer: Oh to travel around the world with only one purpose. Discover the place and take photos. OK. That is two purposes. Imagine traveling to the Antarctica or Africa. I would love to go to Australia one day. And see the coral reef.
- Travel Magazine Writer: I would love to write about different places. And how fantastic would it be that not only does it get published but also that they pay me to do this. Free vacation! All year long! Yeah!
- Cantina owner on a Playa del Carmen beach: Imagine being able to work barefoot and in a bikini and a sarong. All day long. Sure restaurant business is hard work. But it would be so much fun! My son1 could become a chef and son2 could be the cantina manager. Every night, we would have a new band playing. And Mariachis. Tons of fun and games. People could walk in barefoot. And we would serve drinks to people without shirts. Who cares! You are on one of the best beaches in the world!
- Cruise Director: I used to watch Love Boat all the time. A better TV show was never ever made. Who does not want Julie’s job? What is not to love about that job? Travel everywhere. Meet new and interesting people. Entertain them. Make sure they are happy and comfortable. I think I’ll go to the Disney’s website and see if they have any openings for a cruise director. Do you think watching Love Boat counts as job experience?
- Event Coordinator: Party! Party! Party! I love arranging parties and events. As long as they have nothing to do with a wedding. A woman I know is an event coordinator. She throws parties in Vegas, California and Europe all the time. And she gets to go there! How cool is that! She also picks out the cute presents to give to the attendees. And keep a few for herself. Super, super cool!
- Personal Shopper: I want to be Julia Robert’s personal shopper. Or someone who has a ton of money to spend. This one guy I know is hired by some rich folks who have a house in Austin, Texas. His job is to make sure that when the family arrives, he stocks up the pantry and the fridge, have tons of fresh flowers everywhere. One year he even decorated a Christmas tree for them. He bought tons and tons of fabulous and expensive ornaments. Things he could never afford for himself. But he had so much fun decorating the tree! He loves his job and has so much fun!
- Personal Stylist: Good God! What the heck do people wear? I understand that everyone has their own personal style. The glam look, the casual look, the grunge look. All that is ok. What is not OK is that some people wear the most unflattering clothes at the most inappropriate time. Too much clothing. Too little clothing. Too casual. Too frumpy. They could use some advice. A good personal stylist does not change your sense of style. She simply enhances your personal style. Her first and foremost task is to make sure they you are comfortable when you wear it. I would actually do this for free.
- Politician’s Speech Writer: Oh I would love to do this. What a challenging thing to do! Imagine you have to write a speech for a corrupt politician. Who cheated on his wife. How do you twist the story to your advantage? As a writer, how do you shift the blame and accept no responsibility? How do you point fingers in other directions and then throw in a few distractions hoping no one would notice. Think it is effortless? Nope. It is a craft. And I would love to write the speech. Heck, I don’t have to deliver it. Plus, think about the hundreds of politicians who are corrupt and cheat. I’d never be out of work! Wait… my phone is already ringing…
- Food critic: To go to all the great restaurants and order tons of food, sample everything and all for free! All you have to do is write 200 words about it. How easy is that? 200 words is nothing for me!
- Wine Taster: Taste wine. All day long. Need I say more?
What are some other fun jobs?
Talk to me!