Sunday, June 7, 2009

Yuck!


Yesterday I goofed around and puttered around the house. I had bad allergies and decided to read and take naps.

My lovely son made dinner. Pork tenderloin with a pineapple habenaro sauce. It was delicious.

Everything was great. Except...

My Son1 made this sauce that required a ton of cooking. And then he had to blend it. So he put it all in the blender and turned it on.

The blender exploded. Did you know that you are not supposed to blend anything piping hot? The steam has nowhere to go and essentially pops off the lid.

So the blender exploded and the sauce was everywhere. On the counter, on the walls, on the floor. Of course he cleaned it all up.

But... my standards for clean are a little different.

This is what my kitchen floor looks like this morning. Yuck!

This morning I scrubbed the counters and the walls. But I had to take a photo before I scrubbed the floor.

See how exciting my life is?

Have you ever had a similar experience? Do tell!

8 comments:

Sumit said...

Not with me, personally - but my brother had a minor explosion in his oven recently (I think an egg exploded) YUCK!

mythopolis said...

Yes, I had an exploding egg encounter also. Two eggs were boiling ...I forgot about them and all the water evaporated...and then the eggs exploded. Not as messy as a blender with sauce going berserk...but I did have egg on the ceiling!

postcardsfromwildwood said...

We have had exactly the same thing happen with the blender. Several times. The last time was one day after I had given the kitchen a real thorough spring clean... and it was borscht: beetroot soup!!! When I was young my mum used to leave prepared vegetables for me to cook in the pressure cooker when she was on her way home from work. All I had to do was add water, but I sometimes forgot, so I also blew a couple of pressure cookers. As I remember they were built with this in mind, so they broke irreparably rather than exploded. OK so who's on for dinner at mine...?

NicoleB said...

I only say Salad dressing and shake it baby ;)

And I share mytho's egg experience :D
I had it everywhere :)

mythopolis said...

Once upon a Thanksgiving, I was in charge of making mashed potatoes. I used a pot, not remembering I had last dyed a t-shirt in it. So, guests arrive, and I lift the lid off the pot, only to look down on blue potatoes!

Jodi said...

One time I worked at an espresso bar part time when I was in my early 20s. I had to put a 3 gallon bag of milk into this metal holder which has a little spikit (sp?) that the milk drains from. Well, the spikit broke off and I was standing behind the counter with milk going everywhere. It was not pretty.

Another time at work they made me change the water jug on the Poland Spring dispenser. Lets just say I did not have a good grip of it.

Lastly..I never made hard boiled eggs before. My husband asked me to make them for him. Lets just say that I thought you were supposed to put the eggs in after the water boiled.

Scriber's Web said...

Sumit: Oh egg explosions are too bad!
Based on the comments, I would say that they are very common:)

Mythos: Did you stop to take photos? LOL.

Janice: OMG! Beetroot soup? It is delicious but not all over the kitchen. Beet root stains are so hard to remove! Pressure cooker explosions are awful! You can get a serious injury. I've had that happen once a long long time ago and literally I had a dent in my ceiling. Having said that, I'll come over for dinner. I am sure together we'll come up with interesting adventures:)

Nicole: Ha ha. It seems like everyone has had an egg experience:)

Mythos: LOL at blue potatoes. I want to see photos:) I am also waiting for you to post some recipes:)

Jodi: LOL. You weren't kidding when you said you can't even boil an egg. Too cute! Hugs my friend:)

Scriber's Web said...

Jodi: I remember you writing about making eggplant Parmesan. I want a recipe of that:)