Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unsolicited Phone Calls


Yesterday I was trying to fix dinner frantically when my phone rang. I don't get very many phone calls on my blackberry so I dashed to answer it. And I got a machine saying this to me:

"Hello! This is a very important call. Please hold for the next available customer representative to answer your call. Do not hang up. This is a very important call."

So this pissed me off at so many levels.

  • I am on the do not call list. Why are you calling me?
  • I need to watch the American Idol in 2 minutes. Go away. I don't even talk to my loved ones during this time.
  • If this was such an important call, why is a machine calling me? And then putting me on hold? Surely if it was important, a human being would call me. Ugh. I hate deception.
  • What the heck does the word important mean? The word important is used so loosely that it has lost its significance. Important! Important! Important!!!! Since when does a machine decide what is important to ME. Surely the world should know that watching American Idol is more important than anything else. The earth could stop spinning but I must watch American Idol before I tackle that important issue.
  • Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!
So I did what any normal, caring, nice, decent person would do.

I hung up and turned off the ringer. And watched American Idol.

PS: Love the new judge! Wish Paula would drink some more before the show. Love drunk Paula! Simon is going to be in history for being the king of one liners. He is awesome! Randy has just become pathetic. He is so cruel to participants. He laughs at them and then tried to cover his face with a piece of paper. Not nice. Not classy. At least Simon shows a little respect and is direct. He's not passive aggressive. Randy is really annoying me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the German version a few times.
Not my kind of thing, I don't know whom to kill first. Some oft the contestants or the judges ;)

Regarding the phone call. Well, I'm glad you hung up :)
Important call and then there's a machine on the other end?!

This is like the head hunting company sending hubby an email, reminding him to be on time for the phone interview and you get the answering machine on the company's end when you do so.
Ggrrrrr....he gave the head hunters his piece of mind though :)

mythopolis said...

Hello! Please hold for a very important response to your blog. Our blog representative will be with you shortly. ( Muzak: la la dee dee dum dee dandy Yankle Doodle do or die...) (This blog response may be recorded for quality assurance purposes.) "Hello, Mrs. Scriber, it has come to our attention that you turned your Blackberry off when we attempted to call you with our urgent message. We hope you will not do that again, now that it is clear we know where you blog. Don't make us come over here and jam your blog message board with messages like this again. We will call you again in the near future. Have a nice day.

Jodi said...

Randy is a jerk this year. Simon is Simon. I like the new judge too. She is not as nice as Paula. Paula will always be the "look on the bright side" judge.

LOVED the girl with the pink and yellow hair. LOVED the girl who was 16 and sang the Etta James song. She was so good. Great teeth too. LOL! Loved the welder guy - what a cutie too! The last kid was AWESOME. This is going to be a great season.

Just wanted to say hello my friend. I'm doing a tad better. Waiting on the doctor to call me back. Want to see if I need a stronger antibiotic.

As far as the phone call...don't these people realize that AI is on? God help the person who calls me when Lost starts. LOL! The phone will be off for sure during that. I've waited way too long. LOL!

Have a great night my friend!!! Going to go elevate again. Ugh! I'm so tired of doing that!

Coffee Slut said...

Paula is an awesome drunk!
Happy Thursday!

Laura Marchant said...

lol! I would have done the same. If it is really important they will send you a letter in the mail.

Anonymous said...

I hate those calls! Good for you, you hung up! lol!

Scriber's Web said...

Nicole: I regret the day I got hooked on it. So much time down the drain...

Mytho: Ha ha... too funny! Specially "have a nice day"

Jodi: OMG. Randy is just being obnoxious right now. He acts like he is craving attention but doesn't know how to get it.

Coffee S: I love drunk Paula! Someone spike her drink please!

MM: I hated when the kids were little, I would be trying to put them to bed and then they would call and call and call.

Betty: Yes I hate them! I must confess that once or twice I pretended not to speak any english. That was not nice.