Thursday, January 1, 2009

Blog Green


Happy 2009 to all! May this year be a great one for you!

Nicole is organizing a Global Blog Green event. She says it best so I won't even attempt to write about it.

All I can say is baby steps. Let's all take baby steps to make this world a little better place.

I am not an activist. In fact, I am not even worthy of joining this event. I use Styrofoam cups. All the time at work.

Every time I run into the environmental activists, I run, run, run, away from them as fast as I can. Someone once told me, "These environmentalists are ex-hippies. They are worse than gun toting, conservative republicans. They are always trying to impose their lifestyles on you. At least the republicans know when to shut up."

But today is a new beginning. So I am going to take baby steps to help the environment. When you think about it, earth is the only planet that we know of for sure which has life on it. Out of all the universes. Why can't we be thankful? And take care of it?

I am not asking you to plant trees or change your lifestyle. Just one thing a day. Small itty-bitty steps.

I know I will stop using those Styrofoam cups. And recycle more. And clean up other people's trash.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you said it rather well. You don't have to be an activist to make a difference. In your face fanaticism of any kind is obnoxious. I'm learning that little things here and there are not that difficult. It becomes part of the daily routine and then before you know it you are really doing many positive things to protect the environment.

mythopolis said...

Count me in...!!

Anonymous said...

You really did say it rather well.
Baby steps.

You know, in Korea I tried to have a plastic shopping bag with me all the time. The ones you can put your groceries in at afees.
I hated them, but simply reused them as trash bags for the bath room and later to wrap small things in while moving.

And to take along for walks to pick up trash from those oh so healthy and green Koreans (and American soldiers) that roamed the woods ;)

And like Kontan says, little things become routine.
I was all irritated when - after about 5 years of recycling in Germany - I went to the countries without this system ;)

I am so looking forward to see what we all will come up with this month :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Thanks for the encouraging post.

Jodi said...

Happy New Year my friend!

I think that is a great idea. How sad it is that we have to clean up other people's trash though. They should clean up after themselves. It drives me absolutely nuts when I see people throw stuff out their car windows, on the ground, etc. Grrrr!!!

I hope that you have a great day!!!!

Carol said...

Good luck with the green project!

Hey, BTW, congrats on making NaBloPoMo for December too. Way to go!

I might try to do it again in February. Might. Maybe. If, you know, the world sort of comes to some kind of an end or it gets slow in photography town.

Anonymous said...

We just saw Wall-E, scary how it's so true that we need to take better care of this environment. Joe & I are taking better steps this year. We are going to start recycling our glass bottles (wine & beer bottles) lol!

Scriber's Web said...

Kontan: Thanks for visiting. Yeah I hate the in your face kinda stuff. Drives me crazy. Looking forward to doing small things!

Mytho: Thanks!

Nicole: Thanks so much! And thanks for organizing this.

Stephanie: Thanks! Any little things we can do to help.

Jodi: I hate when that happens. Specially smokers who throw away the cigarette butts. Ugh!

Carol: Thanks! I can't believe I did that and committed to Jan. We'll see how it goes:)

Betty: Yeah that's one thing I need to look into! Shame on me!