Monday, July 27, 2009

My Henna


So enough serious stuff.

This week I want to write about this fabulous wedding that I attended during my vacation.

Unlike most american weddings I've attended, Indian wedding last for days. The wedding I attended started on Thursday and wrapped up on the wee hours of Sunday.

We arrived in Atlanta on Thursday afternoon and stayed with a some of my hubby's old college friends. It was the first time I'd met them so I was a little apprehensive but they were simply wonderful. They opened up their home and hearts for us. People like that are simply too hard to find.

On thursday evening, we went to the henna ceremony. Here is my manly man's hand with the henna. I wish I had those delicate hands but I don't... Sigh...

At henna ceremony, the host of the wedding hires some professional henna artists. All the women, married or unmarried get henna applied. There is also food and of course drinks. The henna artists apply henna on one hand and then ask you to come back after an hour for the other hand. So the henna dries and you can at least use one hand at a given point.

After the henna dries completely, you can rub it off. But you are not supposed to get your hands wet until the next morning.

Traditionally in India, men don't get this applied. But here in USA, men get some symbols too. They want to join in on the fun.

Have you ever had henna applied?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks awesome :)!
I never had it done.
I missed out on it in Dubai, 'cause I fell sick the day we wanted to do a desert camp :(
Looking forward to see the rest, that must have been such a hell of an event :)
And yes, good people are a treat.
I ran into some here in Hungary recently and it's good to have them :)

Ballerina Girl said...

No, I haven't had henna before, but I have always wanted to. The designs are so intricate and delicate...just beautiful!
Do the designs have meanings? What about the colors?

I have two tattoos....but they are not as intricate as henna seems to be!

BG

CailinMarie said...

Wow! So pretty! and so amazing to have it applied IN India at a wedding!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Your hands are not manly! The henna looks beautiful. I've never had henna applied, but I'd like to - perhaps on a shoulder. I had thought it was just the bride and perhaps other close female relatives who have the henna.

mythopolis said...

I had a wonderful conversation the other day with a woman who ran a convenience mkt. She was wearing a gorgeous dress that was obviously of Indian design. (This is what started the conversation) She introduced me to her father. He didn't speak as clearly as she did. He pulled out his wallet and showed me some Indian currency. Bills with images of Gandhi on them. We had a great conversation about this leader, but to tell you the truth, I had a hard time keeping my eyes off his daughter! mythosmyth@gmail.com

BLOGitse said...

Scriber, your hand is not manly!

I've had henna when in India...
ooh, those were the days!
But I have my tattoos, they stay!

Have a great week!

Scriber's Web said...

Nicole: Thanks! Getting henna is always fun! It is lovely to have nice human beings around you.

BG: The designs are gorgeous! I don't think they have any meaning though. Show us your tattoos! :)

Cailin Marie: Thanks for stopping by and visiting! This wedding was in Atlanta though. But they do have henna artists all over US. So it is so much fun getting it done.

Janice: Ha ha. Thank you! I do have chubby hands! But oh well... In US, all the females attending the wedding get henna application. Perhaps traditionally it was supposed to be only the bride. You should definitely try it some day. I tell you what... if my sons get married in a traditional way, you are all invited! We'll all have a huge henna party!

Mythos: Sigh. You need to take a photo of the woman and post it. Gotto love a man who gets star struck when he sees a woman:)

Blogitse: Thank you! My hands are not very delicate:) But I believe you!