Sunday, April 19, 2009

Old Things: 1


Yesterday I was puttering around the house and ran into this old wooden box in my house. It sits in the corner of my living room. I know that it does not look very pretty. But I love it.

It belongs to my grandfather or great grand father. Not really sure whom. It is at least a hundred years old. It is a portable tiny desk. It is called an Iskotro.

Many many years ago, I fell in love with it. And asked my uncle to give it to me. He had many other heirlooms so he generously gave it to me. And I used it and cherished it for years.

Until I moved to USA. I had to leave it behind with my Mom.

A few years later, when I went back for a visit, I was shocked to find out that it had been gifted to my niece. That did not sit well with me. As much as I love my niece, that was my property. I wanted it back. My niece was probably 12 years old that time. And she was in boarding school. I could have let her keep it but when I saw the condition it was in, I was appalled and outraged.

It had tons of junk in it. Candy, trash, food, and junk. To make the matters worse, someone had used crayon marks on every inch of the box.

I told my Mom, "This is it. I am taking it with me. If anyone is upset about it, just blame me. I with deal with the consequences. I'll be happy to buy her a desk or anything she wants. But this is mine."

I had it cleaned by professionals in India. But they were probably a little reckless. Despite my instructions of "please don't make it look like a new box and only remove the crayon marks" they polished it up and did God knows what with it. But some crayon marks still remained.

I wasn't pleased with the results but brought it home with me. I don't even remember how I did it. Did I pack that huge thing in my suitcase? I certainly would have never shipped it.

And so it sits there in my living room with some crayon marks and a dark dye. I do want to get it refurbished but have no idea what to do about it. I don't trust the professionals.

Meanwhile I always look at it and marvel at what it was. A reminder of times before computers. A reminder of a time when the British ruled India. A reminder of the old times when men fought wars with pens rather than guns. It must have been a part of the Ahimsa movement somehow.

And today, it still sits in my living room.

10 comments:

BLOGitse said...

you'd get nice images if you put something in/on/top of it...
one at the time...
simple, like Japanise style...
just one green... you know! :)

Scriber's Web said...

Thanks for the tip! But this post wasn't about photography at all:) Have a great weekend!

BLOGitse said...

i know but that was the inspiration i got when i saw that beautiful thing... :)

Still sunny in Cairo...

Sumit said...

Nice! But I guess due to those damned polishers, it doesn't look that old...

mythopolis said...

That's a really nice treasure!!!

Betty said...

I love that box. I don't blame you for liking it. :)

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicole said...

I say, do it yourself ;)
It's actually not that hard.
(That's what my Mom says, she did it once.)

Steph said...

What a lovely box! Reminds me of a treasure chest... just perfect for random things. I hope you find a way to restore it to its old self. :)

Scriber's Web said...

Sauron: Yeah it is a mixed bag. Can't wait to read your blog dude! I have heard so many different stories!

Mythos: Yeah it is interesting. Not sure what will happen to it... Hope it finds a home with someone who loves it as much as I do:)

Betty: I love it! How are you doing girl?

Mike: I deleted your comment. No room here for you. Go away.

Nicole: I just may do that. It seems very time consuming. And when I have some time, I just waste it:)

Steph: That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. It was love at first sight:)