Sunday, November 9, 2008

Men and Directions


This is a true story.

A while back, I had to go for a conference to Dallas. To be green, we carpooled. I ended up driving with 2 male coworkers. I also consider them as my good friends. The drive to Dallas was uneventful, but on the way back, we had an *ahem* adventure.

As we left the hotel, we encountered some very twisted roads. Kinda like the picture except there were about 9 choices. My coworker the driver looked at the road number and took a turn. My other coworker the navigator, gave his approval and off we went.

I was sitting in the back seat reading a book. After about 30 minutes I asked, "Are we on the right road? Nothing looks familiar."

They both said, "Stop being a back seat driver. We know what we are doing and we'll take you to your home."

Alrighty then. So I went back to my book.

20 minutes later, they started having doubts. We'd reached another city that was way north of Dallas. And we were supposed to go south.

So here is how the conversation went.

Him 1 "I think we are going in the wrong direction."

Him 2 "Yeah those signs were horrible. Let's keep going until we see another sign."

Me "Maybe we should pull over at a gas station and ask for directions."

Them "Oh we know where we are going. No worries"

Me thinking "Oye"

So we kept going in the wrong direction for another 30 minutes. I knew I had to do something drastic or I would end up in Arkansas. Not that there is anything wrong with Arkansas.

Me "Can we get directions?"

Them "Oh we know where we are going"

Me "I need a bathroom break. Can we stop at the next gas station?"

They sighed and then complied.

When I got to the gas station, I asked the person who worked there. Sure enough, we were going in the opposite direction. When I came out, both the guys were sitting in the car and waiting for me.

Me "Did you get directions?"

Them "No we know where we are going. We need to go in the other direction."

So off we went in the opposite direction. But they never asked for directions.

After about 3 hours of leaving the hotel, we passed by it again.

Him 2 the navigator "Look, our hotel! Wave bye girl!"

Me "ummmph..."

They were right when they said that they would drop my off to my house. But I lost 3 hours of my life. And they never asked for directions.

Why? Why? Why?

Why do men never ask for directions?

I don't know.

But here is a video that was shot in Austin and is hilarious.

Maybe this might give you a clue.

5 comments:

mythopolis said...

Ummmm...oh, hi Scriber...I was just ...uh...surfin' the net and...ummm...well, this is really embarassing, but could you tell me how to get back to my blogsite?

Anonymous said...

After watching that video, my more capable side of asking directions is scared to hell. I hope your happy, now I'll never be able to ask directions again! Well, unless I bring some sort of shield. :P

Thankfully not all of the males on this planet are as stupid. See--Sciber, can you tell me the way to... *pssssttt* AAAHHH MY EYES!

Anonymous said...

Seriously?! Three hours is 2 hours and 45 minutes too long to be lost, know what I mean? Yeah, they always know where they're going.

Jodi said...

I will make my hubby pull over, but I go to ask for the directions because he might "not get it right." Yeah, sure. LOL!

I hope you had a great day today. Back to the grind tomorrow. Have a nice Monday my friend!

Anonymous said...

True as can be.
Men. Never. Ask. :D
But hey, I managed once to end up 200km in the wrong direction & hubby and me ended up in Switzerland, because we both agreed we had to go direction Basel to get to our home in Hungary :D