Sunday, March 1, 2009

High Heels


Once upon a time, I used to wear shoes like this. I could walk just fine in these. If I was late for a work meeting, I could easily run in these. Life was good.

Then one day I went to Lexington, Kentucky. We went out for dinner with my hubby's friends. It was an upscale place so I dolled up. I wore my fancy shoes with really high heels. As we got out of the car and walked to the restaurant, my foot landed in a huge pothole and I tripped and fell. And landed on my knee. The pothole was THIS big.

Being brave that I am, I got up immediately started walking towards the restaurant. But the guys would have none of it. The dragged me back to the car, made me sit in the trunk of an SUV, pulled out a first-aid kit and cleaned up my bleeding knee.

They insisted we go to the minor emergency center immediately. It was a very deep gash. I vehemently said no. They insisted. I said no, no, no.

By now they were handling my knee like it was their property and talking as if I wasn't even there. "She needs stitches. She needs a tetanus shot..." Blah blah blah.

I insisted we go for dinner. I was OK. It did not even hurt. They all rolled their eyes and gave up. We went and had a lovely dinner. It was Japanese.

The next morning, I woke up and could not even move my leg. It hurt so so badly. I asked my hubby to drop me off at the nearest emergency center. He took me there.

The doctor was wonderful and cleaned it all up. There were no stitches because there was no skin on my knee cap. The doctor said I went there too late. I should have gone right away. I got the tetanus and pain pills and limped out of the hospital with a bruised knee and a bruised ego.

I went back to the guys and apologized profusely for acting like a baby. I should have gone to the emergency room right away. They all said aha and demanded I hand over my shoes to them. They threw them in trash. And forbid me to wear badly designed high heels.

So there you have it. Another one of those embarrassing stories about me. I don't know why I write these for the world to read. I am not writing these any more. No, No, No.

9 comments:

mythopolis said...

Like I said, I am not into women's shoes...but that is a very cute shoe! Can I have it? I am earmarking my current stimulus bill to provide for the construction of the Pottsville Shoe Museum...your shoe would be prominently displayed and would be accompanied by an account of your traumatic high heel incident. Thanks. Mythopolis, Curator, Pottsville Shoe Museum.

BLOGitse said...

what a story!
men are right sometimes! :)

i used to wear 'those' too but not any more...i want feel comfortable and would hate if my feet hurt...

something to do with age? no!
i do what i want not what media or other people are trying to tell me...
feels good to be me!

Laura Marchant said...

I have never been able to walk in heels. I am a loafers type of girl, lol!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this :)
I rarely wear them any more.
I did in Kuwait a few times, but not once since we are back. No fancy Restaurants to go to.
Hope your knee didn't have any long lasting bad effects!

Betty said...

If they looked like that they were cute heels. I don't blame you for wearing them. Sorry you got hurt though. :(
I know I tend to stick towards comfy. I'm more a Nike person. My 34 pairs of shoes consist of mostly Nikes.
I love your stories, please continue to tell. :)

Ballerina Girl said...

your stories are great! do not stop writing these! please :)
I still wear these heels, though a little less here in Brasil. it is more casual.
In Venezuela, I wore them almost every day!
I still pull them out now and again because I LOVE to wear heels...
I will post my shoe show next week ok?!
BG
funny word verification: kinki
hahaha, no more words needed!

Scriber's Web said...

Mytho: Sure. I no longer wear these. But you must promise to display these in the most prominent manner:)

Blogitse: I agree. They are right sometimes:) I agree about the fashion trends. I hate the shoes where your feet get completely squashed.

MM: I am too short and can use all the help I can get:)

Nicole: My knee is just fine now. Can't even see the scars:) Wear high heels at home girl:)

Betty: It was what I call a self-inflicted wound:) Like when you eat a lot of junk food and then complain the next day because your stomach hurts.

BG: Cant't wait to see your shoe collection:)

Unknown said...

only in summer ;)

PJ said...

But we are so entertained!!! And I'm a brand new reader. (I think...or have I been by here a few times??) Love the humor! And the photos.