Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mistakes

I am so thankful for my photography mistakes because they always teach me a lesson. And make me a better photographer.

Yesterday I spent some time with my photography mentor Carol to go over the 22 flower shots. We had to pick the 3 most strongest ones. It was tough. Carol is brutally honest with me and will tell me what worked or what did not. And when I am over forcing something. She helps me grow as a photographer and develop my eye.

So we made a decision and then I showed her some of the other photographs. She liked some of my rejects so we changed the top 3.

Then I told her that I had a wall in my house that did not have anything on it. Could she please give me advice which photos to put on the walls? I was looking for interior decorating tips. Instead... she loved one of the photos of the wall, cabinet and flowers. It had to be in the show.

For a lot of photos I took, I spent a lot of time creating a composition, thinking and planning them. This photo, I just snapped. But she loved it. It was gallery worthy.

So we went back to the square one and started picking the top 3 again. I can tell you this. It is so nice to have a veteran photographer in your pocket. I would share these with you but I still have to put some finishing touches. And maybe even re-shoot some of these.

The deadline is this Saturday morning so I have to act fast. If I get in, I get in. If not, I am turning my house into a gallery. And you are all invited to the opening.

11 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

so funny the difference in opinion must be remembered too..
for instance, I am not too fond of this one, yet you say the professional liked it...
anyways, just wouldn't be my top 3.
sorry :), hope I am not being too brutally honest
BG

Scriber's Web said...

Hey BG! This one did not make it to top 3. I am still working on the top 3. Feel free to be brutally honest. I value your feedback:)

Sumit said...

The one from yesterday was SUPER! And if the top 3 are even fractionally better than that one, then people like me ought to stop practising photography. :P

You're a genius, Scriber!! :)

mythopolis said...

I want to be brutally honest too, and just say that I really like flowers...I really, really do! So, there I said it....and I refuse to take it back! Ever!

word verification today "bluebonnet" ! (just kidding) : )

Ram Venkatararam said...

I'm there (but I'll need money for a bus ticket.)

And another great photo by the way.

Anonymous said...

I've never been a fan of "brutally honest" what other kind of honest is there? wimpy honest?

Betty said...

I honestly can't imagine anything wrong with any of your pics. I love them all.

BLOGitse said...

good luck! it's hard work to pick 3 from hundreds...

i've been in fever, today sweating and weak..
i'll be back soon with more energy, sigh!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I think a wall full of photos of brightly coloured flowers would be fantastic! When I did that photography course I told you about one of the best things was learning to trust my own judgement. Now I look at blogs with wonderful photos that I'm way short of aspiring to, and enjoy them for their beauty and the skills of the photographer, but the (far inferior) photos I take reflect who I am and I think that's important, since I can't be anyone else. Sometimes my husband and I go out taking photos of the same thing but his will be 'edgier' than mine. (Seriously - when I took my recent sheep portrait? Have you ever seen an 'edgy' field of sheep?!)When they judge the entries for the flower photo competition they'll all have personal preferences too, alongside looking at the photographic skills, and who knows if their preferences will coincide more with yours than with Carol's? So, as requested, I'm going to be brutally honest (if that's OK...?!) and say I think the best thing is to lap up the advice on developing your photography skills but be really happy that the final three are the ones you personally like best. :)

Scriber's Web said...

Sauron: Ha ha. I am far from genius. When I see some great photographer's photos, I want to throw my camera away:) But thanks for your encouragement!

Mythos: Only girly men like flowers. There. I was brutally honest with you.

Ram: You rock my world. Send me your address and I'll send you a bus ticket. Or maybe you can start hitch hiking? It will only take about a month to get here. I'll keep the party going until you arrive:)

Anonymous: Is that you son 2? I can recognize your comments even if you don't leave a name. Mom always knows these things. Let me give you an example of wimpy honesty. Quit posting comments anonymously. Or maybe no money for you?

Betty: You are a peach:) Thanks!

Blogitse: I hope you feel better soon! I hate being sick. Take care of yourself.

Janice: Thanks for being brutally honest. I totally appreciate it. I understand what you are saying. I'll have to work on that a little though:)

Unknown said...

I love this sunflower shot.
It took me a bit of eye adjustment, but I'm sure it looks gorgeous in print.
Carol has def. a great taste :)

And I'm sure it comes in handy to have her around :D
I wish for someone like that,..., even though I might get cranky from time to time :P